Bridezilla Takes Manhattan

The honour of your company is requested to join in the joy (and hell) of planning a wedding in New York City. RSVP not required. Sympathy requested. Gifts encouraged.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Newport's New Allure

Last week when I was feeling especially desperate and hopeless about ever finding a wedding location in NYC for less than the price of a Lexus, I shot off an email to a gorgeous hotel in Newport, Rhode Island inquiring about their rates. (My fiance and I spent a weekend there early in our relationship chowing on lobster bisque, frequenting boutiques that sold scarily impressive selections of pastel accessories emblazoned with little whales, crabs and pineapples, and gawking at the mansions. Loved it.) And, while the beautiful location was definitely a bit (just a bit!) more affordable, it was booked into oblivion. Apparently event spaces there are going like hot (crab) cakes. When she called me up yesterday, I told her we were looking at September '06. Booked. I asked about August. Booked. She asked if I might consider doing the Sunday night of COLUMBUS DAY WEEKEND. That would be a no. Then she actually asked: "Are you and your fiance set on getting married next year? Would you consider '07?"

Newport is apparently so happening now that, for me, it's not happening. Guess it's back to the drawing board...in New York.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm getting married in a few months at the Newport Marriott, which isn't as glamorous as some locations, but can be very classy if done well. It can also be done on a tighter budget for those of us for whom NY is out of the question.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home